In light of the revelations in both the coaches poll, and the Harris poll, and some of the moronic decisions made therein, here is the inaguaral Ocho poll, with one voter (so far), with others invited to join. Below is my top 25 and the reasons why. Heck, if the Harris is as crazy next year, we might be the other BCS poll.
So, with no further ado, here are my votes on the top 25, and a brief description of why:1. Texas
- Texas has looked far less vulnerable than USC, and hasn't had a close game since Ohio State2. USC
- Still undefeated, so does it really matter who is first?3. Penn State
- 1 second away from perfect, and the loss was close4. Oregon
- Lost to the then #1 team in the country - by 305. West Virginia
- Lost to Va Tech, and swept its conference6. Ohio State
- The best ranked 2 loss team: losses came only to Texas and Penn State7. Auburn
- After a slow start against Ga Tech and some kicking troubles in Baton Rouge, the best team in the SEC8. Georgia
- Winner of the SEC, even though the Dawgs lost to #79. Notre Dame
- Yeah. They played USC to the wire. Great. But they lost to Michigan State!10. TCU
TCU gets recognition for beating Oklahoma and sweeping their conference. But they lost to SMU.11. LSU
The Tigers lost to Tenn at home, but beat Auburn there. I don't get it. Also, they got hammered by the Dawgs in the championship game.12. Texas Tech
- Two losses: one to Texas, and one to, well, Oklahoma State.13. Miami
- Yes, Miami has only two losses. One came at the hands of FSU, who I don't have ranked. The other came to Georgia Tech. Doesn't quite compare with some of the other 2 loss teams.14. Virginia Tech
- Despite a good start, the Hokies have completely collapsed in every game that has mattered.15. Alabama
- Great defense, but absent offense since Tyrone Prothro got hurt.16. Louisville
- Only losses to West Virginia (top 10) and, well, South Florida. The Bulls were better than expected, but still . . .17. UCLA
- Got trashed by USC. And by Arizona. That's why they're at the bottom.18. Wisconsin
- The best three-loss team I have ranked. Losses came from Penn State, Ohio State, and, well, Northwestern.19. Boston College
- Losses to FSU and Va Tech - understandable. UNC - you kidding me?20. Florida
The Gators get a slight penalty for just looking bad in their 2 of their 3 losses, plus the near miss with a much-improved Vandy.21. Michigan
- The best 4 loss team out there. In my mind, that still doesn't make it better than most 3 loss teams.22. Georgia Tech
- Hey, the second best team, recognized for Great Moments against Auburn and Miami, and penalized for losses to NC State and UVA.23. FSU
Tommy beat Bobby again in the battle of the Bowdens. Then Bobby comes back and beats Va Tech. It's why this Bowden team gets a vote, and the other one doesn't.
24. South Carolina
- Recognition of the Gamecocks successes with so little talent. PLus, a near miss at Georgia and Clemson follow up on the embarrassing score of 85-21 to the two SEC reps in the state of Alabama.
25. Boise State
- My second mid-major, being recognized as its only losses came at Georgia, at Oregon State, and to Fresno State. Why not the Bulldogs? Late season collapse after the USC game, which helped ease USC into the #2 slot. Why not the Wolfpack? They beat Nevada and Nevada also lost to Wash. State and Colo. St.
So that's my top 25. Couple of my biases, right out of the way:
1. I don't like ranking teams with more losses higher than others with fewer, unless there are certain circumstances (mid-major vs. BCS; clear difference in quality of losses)
2. I don't like ranking teams that lost to another team higher than that other team (again, unless there are significant differences in seasons, i.e. Penn State vs. Michigan, Miami vs. FSU and Ga Tech, Auburn vs. LSU)
3. I have much love for the mid-major, despite TCU being the only team deserving of much love this year.
So post your votes, before the first bowl game (Dec. 20), and we'll compile the first-ever, pre-bowl, season ending Ocho Poll. Also, if you want to point out some other biases of mine that you can spot, let me know.