The Ocho

A home away from home for the college football fan who's tired of the talking heads not knowing what they're talking about.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Less reader friendly version of Venu's Preseason CF Poll

College football season is gaining some steam with preseason publications beginning to surface. So far, every preseason magazine has picked Texas to win the Big 12 South. Where have these so-called pundits been for the past 6 years? I mean, have they just forgotten that Oklahoma has steamrolled Texas 6 straight? Texas won't even make it to the Oklahoma game with an unblemished record; they are going to get more than they can handle in Columbus from a loaded Ohio State squad... and yes, I did go to Texas, but as I like to say, I live in the world of reality as opposed to the world of fantasy. And it would be a fantasy for Texas to finish #2 in the country like all these so called experts are predicting... (also, on a semi-tangent, win streaks like OU's current dominance over TX always seem to end at 7 years... so I expect Texas to eventually break the streak next year in a shocking upset led by newcomers as opposed to a more predictable victory led by veteran players this year).Enough smack talk. How do I see things going down? Here's my Top 25 for next year:1) Southern California2) Miami (FL)3) Oklahoma4) Georgia5) Michigan6) Ohio State7) TEXAS8) Louisiana State9) Louisville10) Virginia Tech11) Iowa12) Tennessee13) California14) Florida State15) Auburn16) Purdue17) Texas A&M18) Boise State19) Florida20) Texas Tech21) Virginia22) Oregon23) Utah24) Colorado25) PittsburghVenu's answers to anticipated questions:Where is Alabama, you ask? how can i not take that phenomenal defense into consideration (it will likely be the best unit in the entire country this year, but then again, i think Penn St will have the second best and i didn't rank them either). well, deep in the heart of Dixie, I believe the calls for Mike Shula's head will amplify. Granted, last year may have been a special season had Brodie Croyle not been injured, but MIKE SHULA IS THE IDIOT THAT LEFT HIM IN THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! The fan base will lose patience as Bama will win all the meaningless games, but lose to Florida, Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee. Upsets by South Carolina and Arkansas are also well within the realm of possibility. As usual, I am not expecting a big year from my alma mater, but hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe they can upset Auburn which would be nice... to sum it up, with an even average coach, I think Bama would win the SEC West and finish in the top 15 nationally, but "Frat Boy" Shula sucks....UCLA? In my humble opinion, the Karl Dorrell years should have never even began...Where is Arizona State? The loss of all-star QB Andrew Walter will show... look for an average finish from an average team...Washington? I never believed in Ty Willingham...Notre Dame? Let's just say no one is going to be mistaking them for the New England Patriots any time soon...And justifying certain teams in the top 10:Georgia #4? Yes, DJ Shockley is one-dimensional but so is Vince Young at Texas and, if anything, people are going to say I ranked the Longhorns too low. The running back that everyone forgot, Kregg Lumpkin, will have a similar impact at Georgia as Selvin Young's return at Texas. Everyone seems to forget that before Young, Shockley was the can't miss prospect with the 4.4/40 and the cannon arm. Learning in the Georgia system the last 3 years is going to help. Georgia is using the old FSU model where QBs are allowed to grow for 2-3 years before starting. More of a concern is the defensive side of the football where Pollack and Thurman must be replaced. Aside from replacing the superstars, the rest of the Georgia defense is rock solid. Is Georgia really better than, say, Texas? Not by much, but then again, they don't have to play Oklahoma. I'm not convinced that either Tennessee or Florida will have the experience to beat this Georgia team.Louisville #9? If anything, I believe I ranked them too low. This team is not as loaded as last year's squad, but they should win the Big East and play in a BCS game this year...Miami #2? Who would you rather me pick? Texas? Yes, I remember picking the Canes to win it all last year and they didn't even win the ACC. Something tells me the Canes, however, would not have lost to Auburn in the Sugar Bowl like VA Tech. The defensive side is loaded with all stars and so long as they have a QB who won't attempt to give games away like Berlin, I think Miami has as good a chance as anyone to win the national title....Oklahoma #3? (or, did you see what happened to OU against USC?) I DID take USC over OU last year (and LSU over OU the previous year -- and while I'm bragging, I might add that I was perfect ATS in BCS games last year), however, I certainly didn't expect the onslaught that occurred. OU still had plenty of players including one of the best college football running backs I have ever seen in Adrian McPherson... and really, most people put WAY too much stock in what happened in the bowl games. Does anyone seriously think that USC would hammer OU by 40+ if they played that game 9 out of 10 times? USC most certainly does not. Their own players were saying that despite the score OU and California were the two most talented teams they played all year...Alright, super long post I know. Thanks to this blog, I will now be able to publicly post my ATS, Teaser, and Parlay picks so you guys will either get a good laugh or have to give me grudging respect. Look forward to the season and how it plays out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home